Thursday 2 April 2009

The JB Weld worked a treat, albeit 7 hours later (though the weather was cool) the wipers are working again.



I needed to make a new earth for the license plate/reverse lights as it had rusted beyond use and replace a couple of bulbs,



also the front indicator wires had corroded beyond their ability to transfer electricity.


The earth to the front beam was also rubbish - but only myself to blame from replacing the front beam about 6 years ago. This time I drilled and tapped a hole in the beam to insert a stubby screw and have a proper earth - instead of washers and electrical tape!
I had expected to just reconnect the wiring loom where I had cut it and everything work OK.
Well with the exception of the horn, and a suspected weak battery preventing it from trying to start, everything else works now.

I suspect the body (with wiring attached) being sat on the ground through some rain and snow for several months was enough for the rust to take over.

Refitting the petrol tank was a very tight fit, I think I should have routed the speedo cable a little lower to have avoided it completely, but all seems fine, and I was pleased to see the fuel gauge work when I reconnected it.
Still waiting for the spacers and the repaired door hinge before I can put the doors on, not that ive been putting it off /grin.